The U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command’s Biotechnology High-Performance Computing Software Applications Institute (BHSAI) has developed and validated the 2B-Alert mobile app which learns an individual user’s specific phenotypical responses to sleep loss and caffeine consumption and their impacts on the individual’s cognitive performance.
The smartphone app contains proprietary algorithms that predict current and future alertness and cognitive performance based on a series of psychomotor vigilance task (PVT) tests and the individual’s sleep and caffeine intake data. 2B-Alert could be further developed to automatically log sleep data from fitness devices and generate sleep and caffeine schedules to optimize user performance for given times in the future.
Potential applications include student exam preparation, scheduling for the transportation industry (truckers, air traffic controllers, pilots, etc.), clinical and research studies involving sleep and caffeine, and planning for any activity where an individual or team needs to be performing at peak cognitive levels during a particular time period.
UPDATE: Recent work has extended the capabilities of the 2B-Alert technology to predict an optimized caffeine consumption regimen to either maximize alertness over some future time period or to maintain a target alertness level over some future time period without increasing overall caffeine consumption.
Although not yet available for public download, businesses and entrepreneurs can license 2B-Alert for final development and delivery of a downloadable app. Licensing fees are negotiable, and TechLink provides no-cost licensing assistance. The first step is to contact Quinton King, senior technology manager at TechLink.
- Accurate: Proprietary software, validated in multiple studies, that can be customized to learn the user’s responses to sleep deprivation and caffeine intake and provide predictions that are up to 50% more accurate than non-individualized models
- Simple: Requires only sleep and caffeine data and a handful of PVT tests, all of which are handled via a simple, user-friendly graphical user interface
- Powerful: 2B-Alert provides highly accurate predictions and can also be used to test sleep and caffeine plans for maximum performance and alertness for a given time period in the future
- Businesses can license the technology for commercial development
- TechLink provides companies with no-cost licensing assistance
- Pending US and international patent applications
- Potential for collaboration with Army BHSAI developers