The US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) at Picatinny Arsenal has developed, tested, and patented a suite of technologies for red, green, and yellow flares and pyrotechnics that do not contain perchlorates yet shine brighter and longer than previous military formulations. The three colors use 5-aminotetrazole or proprietary ARDEC materials to replace EPA-regulated potassium perchlorate. These formulations do not sacrifice burn time or degrade spectral purity.
The formulations are tunable to reach desired burn time and luminosity specifications. The green color illuminant eliminates both barium and chlorine byproducts from the formulation in addition to being perchlorate-free. The binder in the red illuminant formulation is simpler to manufacture, and the formulation burns approximately 39% brighter than the previous military formulation. Both the green and red formulations are on-track to transition to use in US military flares. All formulations are suitable for a variety of flare, fireworks, and other pyrotechnic applications.
- High Performance: Exceed standard perchlorate-containing formulations in burn time, luminous intensity and efficacy, as well as spectral purity at desired spectral wavelengths
- Environmentally Friendly: All formulations are perchlorate-free; green color formulation is free of chlorine and the heavy metal barium
- Drop-In Manufacturing: Readily substitutes for existing formulations by employing cost-effective commercially available materials
- Technical design packages available
- Yellow formulation is unpatented but includes a technical design package
- US Patents 8,608,879 and 8,282,749
- Potential for collaboration with US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center researchers