The US Army Geospatial Research Laboratory has developed and seeks to license a patent-pending, man-portable system for water purification with electro-chlorination, UV sanitation, and remote water monitoring capabilities
WAsP is a portable toolkit for water assessment and purification, weighing in at 44 lbs. Point-of-use water filtration in remote areas and while on the move improves the supply chain, reduces costs, and ensures water quality.
- Reverse osmosis water purification (1-3 Gal/Hr for standing water with a fresh water source)
- On-the-fly electro-chlorinator bleach production from salt and water
- In-line assessment of physical water quality parameters (as defined by TB Med 577)
- On-board communications and mesh network for data logging and relay
- Six to seven hours of operations on a BB-2590 battery
- The WAsP permits smaller military units or civilian groups to evaluate water sources, produce water as needed, and ensure that the end results meet physical water quality standards. The system mitigates reliance on bottled water or unsafe water sources to allow increased field responsiveness. It also reduces costs associated with larger scale water production and transport.
- US Patent Application Nos. 14/717,314 and 14/717,407 are available for license
- Potential for collaboration with lab researchers
- Successfully field tested
- No-cost licensing assistance available